49 photographs : digital, jpeg files, black and white.
For personal use only. To publish or display, contact the State Library of Western Australia.
Title taken from album and notes.
Digital copies only supplied, original photographs not held.
During 1941-1942 a torpedo depot was constructed at Preston Point (near Fremantle) to provide torpedo maintenance facilities for allied submarines and gunnery training for the RAN. Later, the depot became HMAS Leeuwin, a junior recruit training school. In 1942-43 an armament depot was established at Byford that was subsequently expanded to cater for mines and gunnery equipment. The site was probably chosen because it was sufficiently far from the coast to be safe from seaborne attack, and because rail access was available.